Journey through Japan on this fascinating Independence by Globus itinerary. A “prefecture” and capital of Japan, Tokyo is the world’s most populous metro area and home to unlimited choices—shopping, dining, entertainment, historic temples and sites, peaceful gardens, and excellent museums. Your private guided sightseeing tour includes Meiji Shrine, a 20th-century Shinto monument built within a man-made forest; the Samurai Museum, where you can learn about Japanese history and see authentic swords and armor; browse the bustling Nakamise Shopping Arcade; and visit one of the city’s most dazzling temples, the Asakusa Kannon Temple. You’ll also ascend the Tokyo Skytree for spectacular views over the city.
During your free day you may choose a trip to Mount Fuji. A highlight of the vacation is the shinkansen (bullet train) ride from Tokyo to Kyoto. Reaching nearly 200-mile-per-hour, this is by far the most entertaining way to travel between cities. The “cradle” of Japan’s cultural heritage, Kyoto, was the country’s capital and residence of the emperor from the 8th until the 19th centuries. Your private guided sightseeing tour includes visits to Sanjusangendo Temple and the beautiful Temple of the Gold Pavilion. Built on a lake and surrounded by a thick forest, the image of the temple’s reflection in the water is a must-take photo. You’ll also walk through Gion and explore the thousands of Torii Gates at Fushimi Inari Shrine. Take some I-time for a visit nearby Nara or to explore Nishiki Market. IAJ1
Starting at $3679 Per Person
* The “Starting at” or listed price is based on the lowest price available to book. Price is per passenger based on double occupancy and does not include International airfare; additional fees/charges are not included. If a price is crossed out, the new price shown includes a limited time promotional offer(s) – please review current promotions or deals for additional information. Some tours require intra-vacation flights (and in some cases intra-vacation segments must be purchased from Globus). IAJ1
Welcome to Japan! Your hotel is available for mid-afternoon check-in.
• Today, hop on Tokyo’s subway system for a private guided sightseeing tour of the city. Start with a visit to Meiji Shrine, a magnificent 20th-century Shinto monument set in a man-made forest.
• Next, stop at the Samurai Museum to learn about their history and see authentic period-specific swords, armor, and kabuto (helmets). You will even have the chance to have your picture taken wearing a helmet and armor!
• At Tokyo Skytree ascend to Sorakara Point on floor 450 at some 450 meters or 1500 feet it is the highest point visitors can explore. Here you’ll have stunning panoramic views over the city and and, on a clear day, Mount Fuji.
• Lastly, visit bustling Nakamise shopping arcade and Asakusa Kannon Temple, the oldest of their kind in Tokyo.
Enjoy a full day at your leisure.
Today, travel by Shinkansen (bullet train) to historic Kyoto, former capital of Japan.
• Your private guided sightseeing tour uses efficient public transportation to take you around the city. Start at stunning Kinkakuji, Temple of the Gold Pavilion, covered with shimmering gold leaf.
• Next, take a walking tour through Gion, Kyoto’s most famous geisha district, which is also known for its high concentration of machiya-style merchant houses.
• Continue to Sanjusangendo Temple, famous for 1,001 statues of Kannon, the Buddhist goddess of mercy. Flanking the main statue are 1,000 life-sized statues, covered in gold leaf, with 40 arms said to have the power to save 25 worlds.
• Finish with a visit to Fushimi Inari Shrine, renowned for the thousands of brightly colored Torii Gates.
Enjoy a full day at your leisure.
Your vacation ends after breakfast this morning.