Eclectic temples and imposing forts. Pristine wildlife refuges and lively metropolises. Pink cities and golden triangles. Fairytale monuments and tantalizing cuisine. There’s no better introduction to India than this incredible Independence by Globus journey. Tour bustling Mumbai and witness its tiffin lunch box delivery system and visit the former residence of Mahatma Gandhi. You’ll also explore the Elephanta Caves, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Tour the highlights of Kochi and cruise the backwaters of Kerala to witness life along the scenic and serene waterways. Enjoy the I-time you crave with free time and optional excursions to experience this fascinating destination in your own way.
Starting at $3809 Per Person
* The “Starting at” or listed price is based on the lowest price available to book. Price is per passenger based on double occupancy and does not include International airfare; additional fees/charges are not included. If a price is crossed out, the new price shown includes a limited time promotional offer(s) – please review current promotions or deals for additional information. Some tours require intra-vacation flights (and in some cases intra-vacation segments must be purchased from Globus). IAI3
Welcome to India! Your hotel is available for mid-afternoon check-in.
• Your private guided sightseeing tour starts with an orientation drive to see the Red Fort, Jama Masjid, India Gate, and the Presidential Palace.
• Afterward, take a rickshaw ride through Chandni Chowk, a captivating local bazaar. Here, ancient alleyways are lined with quaint shops selling all sorts of goods and souvenirs—from silver and saris to spices and electronics.
• This morning, explore Delhi on a private guided tour. Start at Qutub Minar, the world’s tallest brick minaret.
• Next, visit Humayun’s Tomb and Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, Delhi’s largest and most prominent Sikh gurudwara (house of worship).
• After lunch, drive to Agra, where much of the city’s impressive past is still evident in the majesty of her buildings.
• Meet your Local Guide for a special visit to the incomparable Taj Mahal at sunrise. This extravagant marble monument was built by Moghul Emperor Shah Jahan as a memorial to his beloved wife, who died during childbirth.
• In the afternoon, a private guided tour brings you to Agra Fort, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Built by Moghul Emperor Akbar, this impressive fortress of red sandstone conceals the imperial city of the Moghul rulers and its many palaces.
• Today, drive to Jaipur, often referred to as the “Pink City.”
• After lunch, visit Jantar Mantar and explore the City Palace Museum with its collection of paintings, carpets, weapons, and costumes.
• Lastly, visit Ladli, a training program teaching orphaned and destitute children valuable skills to keep them off the streets. Here learn about the project, interact with the children, and help them practice their English skills.
• Visit the legendary Amber Fort, known as the “Sleeping Beauty of Rajasthan.” This fortress-palace was built entirely of white marble and red sandstone, and features intricate mosaics, carvings, paintings, and mirror works.
• Fly to Mumbai, a multicultural metropolis with a fascinating history. This vibrant city is now India’s premier seaport, center of culture and industry, and home to the “Bollywood” movie industry.
• Your private guided sightseeing starts with an orientation for photos at some of the city’s famous sites, including Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus and the Gateway of India.
• Then, witness Mumbai’s fascinating tiffen lunch box delivery system. At Churchgate Station, the dabbawalas (box carriers) transfer the lunch boxes onto a wooden cart on a local train. Board the train for the short ride to Mahalaxmi Station where you’ll disembark and watch the boxes being sorted by color for final delivery.
• Lastly, stop to see a traditional Dhobi Ghat (open-air laundromat) and visit Mani Bhavan, the former residence of Mahatma Gandhi.
• Today, enjoy an excursion to Elephanta Island to visit the Elephanta Caves, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, dating back to the mid-5th century.
• Start with a ferry ride to the island where you’ll have ample time to explore the seven caves rock cut caves and the carvings and sculptures within them. One of the highlights is the beautiful Sadashiva, which represents three aspects of Shiva: the creator, the preserver, and the destroyer.
Today, fly to Kochi, the “Gateway to Kerala,” India’s southernmost state known for its natural beauty.
• Your private guided sightseeing tour starts with a visit to the Chinese fishing nets that are the livelihood of many fishermen in the area. You’ll also take a walk through the Jewish Quarter.
• Then, visit the Kerala Folklore Museum, which aims to educate people about the unique culture and heritage of South India.
• Today, drive out of the city and embark on an unforgettable private afternoon cruise on the backwaters of Kerala. Explore and witness local life along these serene waterways surrounded by lush palm trees and paddy fields.
• Transfer to your lakeside resort.
A full day at leisure to explore the area or enjoy resort amenities.
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning.